Hotel Tree of Life; standing tall in its antique splendour, has a glorious history since its conception in the year 1900. Reaching the 100th milestone, Tree Of Life, surrounded by 700 acres of tea plantations at Yahalatenna, recalls the glory days of playing home to the British soldiers who owned the surrounding estate area as well as being the perfect hideout for Lord Mount Barren during the dark period of Second World War.
It has been one of the locations that provided rest houses during the Sinhala Kandyan era, where people from different parts of Sri Lanka visited on their way to hill capital, or during their journey to other parts of the Central province.
Situated in an area of great ancient atmosphere, the area not only is valued for its antiquity but also for the treasures hidden beneath the earth such as silicon, amethyst and crystal clear spring water, adding indescribable value to the whole picture combined with values of unearthed surprises, surrounding beauty and the great history.
At present, the bungalow resembles the secretive position of the past. After Second World War the unchanging tropical loveliness of this estate was owned by a Sinhala family. Ultimately, the 65 acres of estate property was purchased by Hint Nuwara Eliya (Pvt) Ltd, the sister company of Tree of Life (Pvt) Ltd.
Yahahalathenna was a village in colonial times where bullock carts (Carters) used to gather and rest along a well in the area.
The name Yahahalathenna initiated as Yahaluwan ekatu wu Thena? or Yhahalu-Thenna lately converting to Yahahalathenna.